----------Team New Hampshire's Letterboxing Tales----------

Team New Hampshire is a team of 5. First there is my beautiful partner in crime, Sarah. Next are her 2 sons, Billy and Elijah. Then there is our son, Levi. And finally there is me, David. We live in the most wondefullest state in the country, New Hampshire. The "Live Free or Die" state. We started letterboxing in August of 2005 and we love every minute of it.

Sunday, October 07, 2007

Update on Gingerbread Jim.

The last time we had heard or seen Gingerbread Jim, he had been rescued by the Ryan Family after being kidnapped. Something I'm sure he would like to forget. Well since then, he has moved into a assisted living home for better care. You see, since the winter, he had spent lots of time in the hospital with illness and his girlfriend Sherri couldn't handle it. She got very stressed with everything going on and left Jim. Jim really had no one else left to turn to. We had gone to visit him at the hospital for support and he liked that. The court case began for the man responsible for kidnapping him and he was found guilty and sent to prison for 5 years. Because Jim was in the hospital, he was unable to go to court and stand on the bench. If he was able to do so, the kidnapper would have gone to prison for much longer. Sounds kinda wrong to me. But nonetheless, Jim shortly after that, left the hospital for a assisted living home.
The other day I had gotten a phone call from the home. They had said that Jim had gone for a walk and hadn't come back yet. They regularly allow the residents to go outside for walks for a hour at a time, usually without supervision. Most of the residents do not need supervision. They are there just so they have someone if needed. So back to the phone call. Jim had been gone for about 4 hours now. I was at work and I had asked that they keep looking for them and when I get out of work, I will join the search.
I got out of work around 9:30. I started out around my work and found nothing. From where I work, the home is about 2 miles away, and at this time it had been about 6 hours since he went for that walk. Downtown Concord I started to search. State Street, Pleasant Street, and then there he was. I found him walking Main Street. We sat on a bench and talked for a little bit before heading back to the home. He had stated that he hasn't been feeling well. He has been forgetting things and he was afraid that he would soon not even remember his name. He woke up this past Saturday morning and didn't even know where he was. When he took that walk, he mentioned going to the park. Nothing looked familiar to him. From talking to him, he really sounded as if his memory was slipping away. He had told me most all the stories he had told me in the past except. There was one he didn't tell me. I tried to see if I could mention something that could catch his memory but nothing worked. He had forgot about his 65th Birthday in Belmont. I told him about what he told me and he started to cry. He was now scared and alone.
We got into the car and we started off back to the home. When we got there, the assistance were happy Jim was back. I had discussed things and they told me they have noticed a bit of the same over the past few weeks. They had been walking him closely until he wandered off. They assured me they would watch him closer now and keep me in touch of any changes.

Do to Gingerbread Jim losing a part of his memory, a box has been retired.
The Adventures of Gingerbread Jim #5 - My 65th Birthday
As his memory disappears, so will his boxes.

3 Comments:

Blogger midlandtrailblazer said...

oh, how sad. i hope that he can at least remain comfortable and content.

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Jim, that story made me tear up a little. How sad that his boxes will disappear as his memory does. :(
-HG

P.S. You should write children's books. :)

6:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmph. I never trusted that Sherri cookie. Hope Jim feels better.

Sheba

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home