----------Team New Hampshire's Letterboxing Tales----------

Team New Hampshire is a team of 5. First there is my beautiful partner in crime, Sarah. Next are her 2 sons, Billy and Elijah. Then there is our son, Levi. And finally there is me, David. We live in the most wondefullest state in the country, New Hampshire. The "Live Free or Die" state. We started letterboxing in August of 2005 and we love every minute of it.

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Welcome to Canada, now go home!

Well, I wouldn't suggest anyone do what we did, but it can be done. Canada. A different land with vast space filled with corn. It reminded me a lot of Quaker Country in Pennsylvania. The roads were small and lots and lots of corn fields. I really wasn't expecting that. Kinda thought we would see some Canadian tress. Is there a such thing as Canadian trees? Either way we didn't see many of them, at first anyway.
So we started from the house at 4 in the morning. Nothing to see in both New Hampshire and Vermont on the way to the border because it was still dark. What I did see in Vermont though, was bear crossing signs. I said "Great!" Sarah was sleeping in the passenger seat and woke up when I remarked. She asked what and I told her. She said "Oh." and went back to sleep. She slept most of the way to the Canadian border. It finally started to get light about 30 minutes from the border was I thought kind stunk, but whatever. It would have been nice to see some fall color in the Green Mountains of Vermont.
So we made it across the border and were now in a strange land filled with corn fields. The speed limit changes from MPH to KM. Quite a change for me. A bit hard to follow the speed limit, especially since there were cars behind me that clearly wanted to go faster than we were. Suddenly, I see a sign that looked like a covered bridge sign. Without my wife's permission, we headed down a road that we thought could have been a bad idea. We traveled it for about 2 miles before almost giving up, but there it was. Our first sighting of a covered bridge in Canada. Little did we know, it was going to be our last. I was more excited to see it that Sarah, but I am just weird like that.
After leaving the bridge, it was straight to Montreal. All in all, it took us about 5 hours to drive there, which included the stops for gas and the covered bridge. It was a nice drive, and when you finally get on the highway in Canada, you can see Montreal in the distance. Oh boy! First stop, Parc Mont Royale.
It was in the park, stood a mountain of which anyone could climb. It stands at 764 feet, in the middle of Montreal. It was told that you can get the best views of Montreal from the top, as well as a scenic vista halfway up. And I hate to tell you this, but we got lost on the way to the top. We didn't get any scenic pictures of Montreal from the mountain. But I did take some of the park itself. We would have stayed longer if we actually had stuck more money into the parking meter. All we had was 70 cents U.S. to put in the meter, which it took, but little did we know, it only gave us 8 minutes to look at the park. We still spent about an hour and a half there, but decided we should head off. Sarah was getting cold.
The temperature in Montreal was around 40-48 degrees, which was fore casted before we left. I was fine, but Sarah though otherwise. So we were in the car, ate lunch and headed off for a visit to Olympic Stadium. Olympic Stadium opened in 1976 as a place for the 1976 Summer Olympic to be held. The following year, the Montreal Expos, a Major League Baseball team, moved in and played ball there until September of 04. Now the stadium sits for random spectacles to visit and inhabit for a short time. We went to tour the stadium. Fun thing though, well actually, it didn't turn out to be so funny, when we got there and parked, we walked across the street to the stadium and walked around the side. There were signs pointing to where we needed to go for the tour. Suddenly the signs stopped and there was no place to go. The building wasn't open for tours and there was nobody around to ask. I was frustrated. We tried to walk around to the other side of the stadium but gave up shortly when we both found ourselves freezing. We headed back to the car.
From there we went to Old Montreal. I would bore you will all the historical feature I found out in the Museum of Montreal History, but I won't. What I will tell you is that while you were there, You felt like you were in of old times. The buildings looked old and the streets were very narrow. We thought about taking a tour, but at $45 for a half hour ride, we thought not. We were just as happy to walk around. We stumbled across Notre Dame which was a location I wanted to stop at. If I had food, I would have feed the birds, but instead, let them peck at my hands.
Afterwards we went to watch a show at the Planetarium De' Montreal. This was at 7:15pm. I was tired and so was Sarah. We had a hard time watching the show and by the end, we were kinda disappointed. We both have definitely have seen better. But after a long day, we were ready to head home.
All in all, we had a wonderful time checking out the night life in downtown Montreal before the show. The fall colors in Montreal were still nice and the city itself was as kind as could be. I had ever intention of planting a letterbox in Parc Mont Royale, but I didn't feel safe leaving one there. That and it would be the only letterbox in Montreal right now. But with that said, if everyone gets the chance, I would recommend Montreal as a spot to visit, letterboxing or not. My only suggestion! Spend the night!

2 Comments:

Blogger midlandtrailblazer said...

I thought Notre Dame was in Paris? Kind of like a taste of France in America, huh? I'd love to see Canada sometime. Quebec would give me a chance to brush up on my French, but I'm closer to Ontario....

11:53 AM  
Blogger David Baril Jr. said...

Notre Dame Basilica is in Montreal. I probably should have added that part!

4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home