----------Team New Hampshire's Letterboxing Tales----------

Team New Hampshire is a team of 5. First there is my beautiful partner in crime, Sarah. Next are her 2 sons, Billy and Elijah. Then there is our son, Levi. And finally there is me, David. We live in the most wondefullest state in the country, New Hampshire. The "Live Free or Die" state. We started letterboxing in August of 2005 and we love every minute of it.

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Anyone See My Kite Crash and Burn?

So! While most of the world was out getting Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, I was awake making sure all was set for our trip to Cape Elizabeth, Maine for the Come Fly a Kite Gather. Finished my kite, 2 stamps (1 for the kite and 1 to plant), and a couple cooties. It was 6:00am when it was time to head off to Maine. I hadn't gotten any sleep. This was going to be fun.
The travel out to the coast was the part of the drive that was hard for me. I stopped to get some caffeine and after that I was fine. Headed to Portsmouth first to check up on one of my boxes reported missing. Well, I am glad to say that Portsmouth Alarm is right where I left it, safe and sound. The walk was nice to and from the box and the fresh air helped wake me up a bit more too! After that, it was a straight shot to Cape Elizabeth. In hand we had clues to 4 boxes. The only one we were able to find was In Memory of Dad. Being on Route 77, I needed to plant a box before we finally made it to the gathering. That's when we came across Robinson Woods. We got out of the car and we planted Sean for President - "Your Maine Koko!". Now we finally headed to our final location on Cape Elizabeth, Portland Headlight.
The weather was perfect. Well for most of the day anyhow. But don't get me wrong. If the sun was out any longer than it was, my sunburn would be 10x worse. I didn't want that. Also with more clouds around, there was more wind. More wind equals flying kites. Unless you have my kite, which didn't wanna fly any higher than 5 feet of the ground. I made this kite during the week and I must have done something wrong. First off, it looked like a pizza. that wasn't the wrong part about it. I had made a crust for it and it ended up grounding the kite. The crust was to heavy. Normally I guess, you could probably fix it, but Dave from the Wildcats and I couldn't get it fixed to fly. Oh well. I'm sure everyone had a wonderful time watching me try to fly it. Thanks for laughing! I usually charge for the entertainment by the hour. Muddy Paws showed the children how to make kites and they had a wonderful time flying them. She asked if I wanted to make a kite, but I was feeling bad about my kite, so I declined. Thanks though.
After a bit, we all ate and chatted some more before we headed out to find some boxes. The area was so beautiful and the park was full. I got some really nice pictures of the lighthouse there and the children liked to climb on the rocks. Maine is known for its rocky shores. I made sure the children didn't get to close.
After we found all the boxes in the park, we decided it was time to start heading home. We said our goodbyes to everyone and headed off. We found a bunch more letterboxes on Cape Elizabeth. 13 Ways of Looking at a Blackbird was located at Robinson Woods, the same place I planted my box earlier. These boxes were very well done, but the last box was really hard to find. After finding the 12Th box, we came across The Thompson Twins looking for box 13. We both searched for this box before trying in a further location. In the end, we found the box and got a chance to spend time with The Thompson Twins. Then we couldn't get out of the lot because someone had been pulled over and they were right behind our cars. Oh well. You play you pay!
Once we got to leave Robinson Woods, we found a few more boxes, stopped one more time to visit my Mom in Sanford and wished her a happy birthday, then went home. Got home at about 11pm and went straight to bed. Woke up and 11:30 the next morning. :)

5 Comments:

Blogger Mrtee073 said...

-So glad we all got to put our heads together on the 13th box... It would have been too bad to miss the log book on that great series!

-Good teamwork!

~The Thompson Twins

9:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't usually read blogs, but omg, I'm glad I came over to see what kind of photo you used. That you made a pizza kite is HILARIOUS! Very funny stuff!

MoWizLiz

10:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ok Dave.... I am sure my wife liked that view of me but come on... LOL.

It was great chatting and exchanging with you. Wish we had more time to talk, we'll just have to come down and visit.

I second the comment about the sun, my forehead is killing me...still.

-Buxton Boxers

PS: The kite didn't fly well but it looked good enough to eat ;o)

10:21 PM  
Blogger midlandtrailblazer said...

oh well, at least you know what NOT to do in kitebuilding next time

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home